Tuesday, March 10, 2009

TANKS !!!! Your welcome.





Well, technically they are tank destroyers, M10 Wolverines to be exact. I have finished my first platoon of my new Flames of War army.

The M10 was a pretty nasty surprise for the Germans in North Africa and continued to dog the PanzerKompanies though the rest of the war all the way to end, only surpassed by the M18 Hellcat after the D-Day landings in Normandy, France.

The main armament of a 3" gun using an armor piercing shell was devastating to the German tanks, being able to penetrate most armor of the Panzers of the time. Only after the Normandy landings did the Wolverines run up against tanks to tough for them to take head-on. The Germans had brought their Panther and Tiger tank companies from the Eastern Front to meet the Allied invasion. The M10s needed to find new tactics to continue to be effective against the more heavily armored tanks. They started to hide even more then before and wait for the enemy to pass and hit them from behind.

More than 6500 M10 Wolverines were built.

I think I did a pretty good job on them, being that I haven't done any real painting for quite a while. I am trying to be good and not start painting on my M4A1 Shermans until I finish my first platoon for my US rifle company.

I will post pics of the rifle platoon once it is finished, I just need to finish one more bazooka stand, and five more 4 man rifle teams.

So be on the look out for that post in the coming weeks. Because I really want to get painting my Shermans.

3 comments:

  1. Indeed, they do look great...



    And they blow up REAL good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, my bro can sling a brush every once in a while. Nice job, holmes. Let's see some dogfaces in the near futures.

    ReplyDelete